Paperwork FAQs

We will need to see the driving licence of anybody you want insured to drive. If you have a photocard licence, you will only need to bring the photocard. Instead of the paper counterpart, you will need to bring with you your DVLA check code. Alternatively you can just bring your national insurance number so we can help you to generate a code when you come in. A proof of address (e.g. utility bill dated within 3 months) and credit or debit card.

As above you will need to bring the following items with you for your rental:

  • the DRIVING LICENCE of anyone you want insured to drive.
  • a DVLA CHECK CODE, (click on the link 'Licence Check' on our home page). Alternatively you can bring your NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER so we can help you generate a code when you come in.
  • PROOF of ADDRESS, (eg a utility bill dated within the last 3 months).
  • another form of ID with your SIGNATURE, (eg passport/bank card)
  • and finally your CREDIT/DEBIT CARD to make payment.

After the abolition of the paper counterpart of the driving licence, all hirers now have to produce a licence check code. To get this code you need to visit and follow the instructions.  Codes last 21 days and can only be used once, so this procedure will have to be followed by every driver, for every hire.

Our Insurance Company stipulate that we must see the original Driving Licence, therefore you must make sure you bring it with you when you collect your vehicle.

This will depend on what categories are on your driving licence. Everybody should have the entitlement to drive vehicles up to 3500kg GVW with up to 8 passenger seats. If you want to hire a minibus you will need to have group D1 shown on your licence and if you need to drive a 7.5ton lorry, you must hold group C1.

No, to drive our 12 and 17 seaters, you will need group D1 on your licence, but if you’re using it for company business, you may need an Operator’s Licence.

In simple terms, operators of vehicles over 3500kg GVW or with more than 9 seats need to hold an Operator’s Licence if the vehicle is being used for business purposes (hire or reward). This is quite a complicated area, but if you are moving personal effects or family members it won’t concern you. However, if you are transporting goods or passengers in connection with a business, or you’re being paid for doing it, you will need to talk to VOSA.

If you passed your driving test before 1st January 1997 you are probably entitled to drive a vehicle & trailer up to a combined Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of 8.25 tonnes.

Hirers whose licence was issued after this date may only drive a van coupled with with a trailer up to 750kg MAM, or a trailer over 750kg MAM if the combined weight of the van & trailer is less than 3,500kg Gross Train Weight (GTW), unless you have taken the ‘B+E’ Van & Trailer test, in which case

With any type of fine (parking, congestion charge, bus lane, etc), we will receive the penalty notice if it is not paid at the time. This is normally returned with your details to the issuing authority, who then contact you for payment. We charge an administration fee of £10.00 + vat in this circumstance.

All Kenhire’s short term hire vehicles are included on our Dart Charge Account, so we will take payment from you for any crossings made while you have the vehicle on hire.

You can notify us of crossings either when you collect or return the vehicle; we would normally then deduct the charges from your deposit or take payment from your credit card once we receive notification of your crossings.

Please note that if you have your own Dart Charge account, you will not be able to add one of our vehicles to it. Long term hire vehicles can be removed from our account on request if customers wish to manage Dartford crossings themselves.